Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Crossing the road in Cambodia..oh, I mean Australia

It wasn't until I was in the middle of the road that I realised I was crossing an Aussie road in the way I would cross a busy Cambodian road.

In Cambodia I would walk across a busy road slowly. The streams of motos, cars and other things would just weave their way around me, sometimes honking.

It is scary the first time you do it , coming from Australia, but I guess its my default now. It seems I went into autopilot and only realised when I was standing in the middle of Liverpool road with the morning peak hour rush rushing around me.

No one honked, no one slowed down to go around me. They just kept going. I was so terrified.

When I finally made it to the other side I felt really embarrassed. I hped no one I know saw me.

 Its not the first time I wished I had an L plate on me. People assume I know what I'm doing but I don't. I also felt frustrated, I wish I could instantly feel normal here.

I'd already been in Australia a week, and no traffic problems this time around (like when i got back from China), so I guess I thought I was fine. Also traffic is such an obvious thing that is different so I would have thought I wouldn't make a mistake.

But I'm on high alert now!

1 comment:

Phil S said...

Something to look forward to for us when(ever) we come back to Australia... :)
Are you catching the bus from SMBC to UTS? (It must beat riding your bike over bumpy roads and it should be gentler on your back...)